This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.

Monday, January 28, 2008

The Thief Lord

"I do beg your pardon," Signore Ida Spavento said, pointing the gun at Riccio, who was standing closest to her. "I don't quite recall having invited you." p.172

"Five. Heavens above! You're really young for a bunch of thieves." p.173

I love both of these quotes. I think that they show most of the situations faced by the children in this book. Stealing things, even though it works out that they were deceived, was how they survived. The second quote illustrates the reaction of Signore Spavento to their age. The whole book they talk about how they wish they were grown up, Scipio the most. It is ironic that in the end he turns out wishing he was a child again.

The way Cornelia Funke uses language is wonderful. She described everything in a way that placed my in the story right alongside of Bo and Prosper. She painted a picture that I rarely find in books. I also love her unique story line. She could have just as easily stayed with the thief lord stealing and supporting everyone, but she moved this into a wonderful tale of magic that I think would keep students at all ages engaged in this book. I think I will be reading more books by Funke in the near future.

1 comment:

Katey Blaylock said...

I agree with Adam, that this book really brings you into the story. It has been such a long time since I wondered about what was going to happen next in a book, even when I was not reading it at the time and I did that with this book. I would read it for a while and then wonder about it and pick it up again. I think Funke has found just the right balance between innocence and mischief!