This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Megan's Double Entry Diary "The Thief Lord"

pg 112- end of the third paragraph- "The battery of his cell phone had gone dead again."

I know this doesn't sound like a very significant sentence from the novel, but it was for me. For some reason up until this passage I had this book set in a much earlier time in my mind. I don't know why I immediatly assumed it was set much earlier than it actually is. Maybe I was still in the mindset of "Carnival at Candlelight" and was thinking back 600 or so years. Maybe when I think of Venice I just always think of older times because of the beautiful architecture and traveling by boat and foot through the city. Maybe I found it impossible to think that in this day and age there would be a group of young children living all by themselves in a movie theater, that by this time in history there should be better child protection laws or agencies or something. When I read this though I was like, "what? He has a cell phone? I'm so stupid, why did I think this was set so much earlier?" I guess I also have to remember there is a different culture in Venice, and I can't just take the cultural information like Scipio's high heeled boots and suspect that that could only have been popular years and years ago. Maybe that is a popular fashion in Italy.

1 comment:

Dr. Frye said...

I had the exact same reaction the first time I read this book!