Scipio frowned. "The sugar tongs," he murmured, "yes, they were probably quite valuable." He shook his head as if he wanted to get rid of a troublesome thought. (p. 57)
After reading the book, I looked back over it and realized that this is a very important section. It is foreshadowing of what is going to be coming out into the open in the near future. Scipio frowned and looked as though he had a troublesome thought in his mind because he did. The reader finds out later in the story that Scipio set up his nanny as the thief around the household. He was thinking about how he had blamed her for it and how expensive the items "she stole" really were. I think it is good when an author choses to use foreshadowing in a story. It is good to go back and re-read some of the story, if not all of it, and realize that subtle hints were being dropped throughout that you didn't notice the first time.
"Because she didn't find you in your bed at midnight. And just as I got here the police called to tell me that they had found a gang of street kids in the Stella. You know the movie theater I had to close down? Of course, I immediately explained to the gentlemen here that your disappearance had nothing to do with this." (p.219)
This quote from Scipio's father lets me know that he has nothing to do with his son's life. He may provide a nice home and all the money the child shall need, but he doesn't have any interest in his son. The fact that Scipio is involved with the "street kids" and that his disappearance does have something to do with them, shows that he hides his secret life well, or that his father pays him no mind. I hate to hear of children that have parents that show no interest in their lives, or just have no idea what is going on with them. Parents need to be involved in their children's lives and pay attention to the things the children might be getting into.
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment