This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Lauren's DED

From the book:



"Snowflakes whirled through the alley. They fell so densely from the off-white sky that Bo squeezed his eyes shut. Suddenly everything was gray and white -- as if someone had erased all the colors of the city while they were in the shop." (p.191)





What this means to me:



I really like how the first sentence uses great figurative language. Saying that the snow whirled through the alley makes me think of walking around campus and watching the wind blow the snow all over the place.



You can tell that it is really coming down hard because the author talks about how dense the snowflakes are. This is also a bit odd because snow is supposed to be light and fluffy, not dense and heavy.



I can relate to Bo squeezing his eyes shut. Snowflakes have often flown into my eyes.



Using color to describe the scene helps me to think of a snow day. The sky is so gray, and it really does take away from the normal colors of the world, and make it a little more dull and almost mysterious.



This passage makes me think of walking outside during the first snow of the year, whether in Boone or at home. Since I was little, I have always ran outside and smelled that cold, gray air that the author is describing.



I think that this change in weather follows the changes in the book. The weather gets colder as the children are getting closer to being discovered.



No comments: