From the book The Thief Lord: "Victor just shook his head wearily. " Has it still not occured to you?" he asked impatiently. "The two of them only ran away because you wanted to separate Bo from his brother." "How dare you use that tone with me?" Esther Hartlieb shouted. "The two of them are very close!" Victor shouted back. "Can't you undertand that?" "We'll get Bo a dog," Max Hartlieb answered calmly. "
This section had a prominent impact on me by the end of the book because I think during this time is when Victor's character starts to change, and for Prosper and Bo its in their best interest. Victor was completely set on finding them in order to please his client by returning them back to their aunt and uncle however throughout the process of getting to know the brothers, he grows a heart and sticks up for them. I think he looks out for their best interest and by the end of the book this plays a significant role in who Victor is. I also beleive that he thinks of Bo and Prosper almost as his own children by the end because it kind of seems like him and Ida are together and Bo, Prosper, and Hornet are all living with Ida by the end. I just thought this section was especially important because this is when Victor realizes that Esther and her husband are not good people and don't deserve the brothers. They think that they can replace Prosper with a dog and Bo would be ok with that. Well obviously that is not the case and I think that Victor ultimately did the right thing in the end by helping the brothers out and Esther still got Barbarossa as a son in the long run. Lastly, this part just seems important because I think Victor is looked upon here not as a professional detective but as a common citizen with morals instead.
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Victor definitely could have been a character to hate but from the very beginning I found myself liking him, even though he was searching for Prosper and Bo. There are little hints at the very beginning that let you know that Victor never really liked Esther and that he was just trying to do his job. I think thats what makes him likable, but I agree that he becomes more trustworthy when he defends the boys to their mean aunt.
Post a Comment