"About one hundred and fifty years ago, so the legend says a rich merchant gave a very valuable gift to the orphanage. He had a merry go round built in the court yard. It had five beautiful wooden figures on it. There is still a picture of them above the door at the orphanage. In it, a unicorn, a sea horse, a merman, his mermaid and a winged lion do their rounds beneath a colorful wooden canopy...." ( pg 177)
What this means to me:
This was my favorite pa . ssage in the story. This is when Ida tells the children about the merry-go-round for the first time, and i think that this was a huge twist in the story. When you are reading you keep wondering what is coming a head, and I had no idea about the wooden wing or the merry go round. I thought that this was a nice twist in the story, and it also includes the important symbolism such as the winged lion. After this point in the story i really began to get into the book and was curious to find out what was going to happen next
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree. The magical Carousel is a great twist to the story. I felt that twists and turns were what made this story great.
Post a Comment