This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Double Entry Diary, Jeana Sigmon

"Hold it!" Victor called, standing in the boy's way. "Where are you going? To warn your friends? That won't be necessary..." "I'm only interested in the two brothers -- the ones you have taken in. Prosper and Bo."

Scipio started at him wordlessly. Then he whispered contemptuously, "You rotten snoop!..."

"Stop, you little rat!" Victor bellowed after him. His voiced boomed through the huge house.... "I WILL FIND YOU, do you hear!"

(Page 116,
The Thief Lord)

This is one of my favorite passages from the novel for several different reasons. One reason, because this is where "it all came together for me." I loved the idea of Victor finding out Scipio's true side.

There are several points about this passage that I would like to point out. Victor says he is only interested in Prosper and Bo, however by the end of the novel-- he has a deep, meaningful relationship with each of them.

Scipio also calls Victor a "rotten snoop." When I first read this, I thought that was very rude. A child should not be talking that way to an adult. And the nickname stuck! I felt really bad for Victor because he had such a bad rep with the kids. He was only trying to help.

Also, Victor says, "I will find you!" When I first saw this, I immediately thought FORESHADOWING! This book is such a great way to teach that literary element. Victor definitely did find the children, and an adventure to match!

--Jeana

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also found foreshadowing in the story. The part where Scipio feels bad about the sugar thongs, is a good example of foreshadowing. This is a good book to teach that literary element. This is also the part of the book where it all started to come together for me. I mean I am into mystery books so I was trying to figure out why Scipio was so mysterious from the beginning. I really enjoyed the story though.