This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Jenn's thoughts on "The Thief Lord"
I thought "The Thief Lord" was a great book for a child to read. I really found it fascinating, I kept wanting to see what happens next. With such great detail I really felt like I were watching the scene unfold. The one thing I would say about this book that I don't really see a fifth grader reading this book due to length. If the child got motivated enough to start I think they would then want to keep reading it because it really draws you in. I loved the descriptions in this book for example "on his nose sat a think pair of glasses with plain lenses that made him look slightly dim-witted and completely harmless." I can just picture what Victor looks like in this scene! I thought the story line of the children running away to what they thought was going to be a magical city and life became a huge adventure with new friends and interesting characters was a very good topic to keep a child interested. Throughout the novel it describes Venice in much more detail than "the magic tree house." It discussed churches, bridges, building, the streets, the canals, the interior and exterior of buildings, the art and statues. It's like your there, in Venice, with these children watching them as they go about their day. My favorite character was little Bo, his actions were so 5 year old like, I loved it. Although some parts did seem a little far stretched that a 5 year old would be out on his own, but I think that is part of this magical adventure. I actually really liked how each chapter switched back and forth from the boys to Victor. I think it makes it much easier to follow then trying to stick thoughts from victor and the boys in the same chapter, I think that would have been a little overwhelming for a fifth grader. To sum up my blog on "The Thief Lord" I thought this was a very interesting and fun book to read, I think if a fifth grader ever got started they would be engulfed in all the fun adventures that Bo and prosper have and this book could really show them how Venice life is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks Jenn; what did you think about the ending? Were you satisfied? Specifically, what examples of Funke's imagery and descriptions were your favorite? What genre do you think this is?
Post a Comment