FROM THE BOOK
“The gilded mosaics of angels, kings, and saints, which decorated the walls and ceilings, only shined at certain times when the sunlight fell through the church windows………..Inside he would sit down on a narrow bench, put his ear to a small window, and listen to all who wanted to tell him their sins and clear their conscience.”
Pg. 76 paragraph 9 through pg. 77 paragraph 3
WHAT THIS MEANS TO ME
I loved this passage. I felt as if the imagery was outstanding. Here these little children are standing outside the Basilica St. Marco, which was a private chapel of the Doges, and they’re seeing this huge cathedral like place when they walk in. This passage made me feel like I was right there alongside of them walking into the Basilica.
The ceilings were decorated with angels, kings, and saints that shined when the sunlight hit them. At the time when they’re in the chapel it is completely dark allowing the reader to imagine that maybe it was dark or maybe cloudy and the sun wasn’t shining. The boys were so small compared to how huge the cathedral was. The book talks of the confessional and what it looked like. For me it was interesting to be able to imagine what a church like this would be like. I have never been in a catholic church so I wouldn’t have known what to expect the cathedral to look like. This is why I like Funke and all the descriptions she adds to all the settings in this book.
This passage just allowed me to see what it would have been like to be there in Venice at this Basilica. I’ve always liked to learn things about Italy and to see pictures of Italy!
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
St. Mark's Basilica in Venice is so breathtaking. Funke did a wonderful job describing it, and though I have never been there myself it made me feel like I was there with the characters!
After I finished the book I looked up some pictures of the Basilica. I really liked this one of the inside. I would really like to visit it some day!
Okay, the link didn't work, so here is the real link to the picture I posted about.
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/images/venice/san-marco/resized/nave.jpg
Post a Comment