This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Kristen Teague's respoBense to Because of Winn Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate Dicamillo was my favorite book so far! This book is a Newberry Honor Book. I believe that this book's age range is 3rd-5th grade. I want to teach K-2 and I want to think that this book would be suitable for second graders because I would love to teach this book but I'm not sure. I have never seen the movie so I was excited to read the book because I've heard how much people loved the story.

I believe that book would capture children's attention and keep them interested for awhile. The book is about a girl and her dog. So many children have a dog or pet that they love so they would be able to relate to India Opal. She also has a father "the preacher" that doesn't connect emotionally with Opal. This young girl has so many qualities that students can relate to. Children can feel like they are there with Opal. I believe that some of the morals, like how the lozenges show that life is bittersweet and how you can lose someone and still remember them and what you had, may be a complicated for younger children but anyone can enjoy this book. I love the small town feel this book has. I am from a small town but never had a "Otis" or "Miss Franny Block" or "Gloria Dump." I like how the book ended after the party. As the reader, you feel sorry for Opal because she wants so bad to know her mom. I wish her mom would have came back at the end of the story but this teaches children that not everything ends perfect. Everything else in the story ends well. "The preacher" connects with his daughter, Opal finds Winn-Dixie, and everyone is together singing.
I think there is so many possibilities for teaching with this book. I would still love to read this book to younger children. You could have students write about their "Winn-Dxie," that way they can feel connected to the story. You could also find a recipe for Littmus Lozenges minus the sorrow for the children to make. I think that all children would love this story of a girl and her dog.

No comments: