Pre-reading...
I had no idea about the Aleutian Islands or what went on during World War 2. I was looking at the timeline and a lot of stuff during World War 2 happened when my grandparents were about ten years old. I can't imagine living while all of this was going on. I never even knew that the Aleutian Islands existed, much less all the pain and killing that went on there during World War 2. I can't wait to Aleutian Sparrow and learn more!
Post-reading...
After reading this book, I feel like I know so much more about the Aleutians and their experiences during World War 2. I had never even heard of the Aleutians before reading this book. I found a lot of passages that I marked, that stuck out to me. On page 62, Vera talks about two new baby girls that were born at Ketchikan public hospital. It makes me sad to read that "they will join the struggle with the rest of us." I think of how much newborns are cherished and how these newborns have no idea what they were born into.
On page 91, Vera talks about the boils on the skin. They beg for a doctor but when a doctor finally arrives, he says they are just adjusting. I can't imagine being there and a doctor telling me that. I think reading this story will help children realize how lucky they are.
Page 93 talks about the Aleutian Sparrow that was around generations ago. The bird flew around the trees and when the trees were used to build houses, the people that lived in those houses died a mysterious death. What an appropriate name for the book!
My heart hurts on page 102 when Vera feels forsaken when her mother finds a home but says there is only room for one. I can't imagine my mom doing that to me. On page 136, Vera talks about Easter and how they celebrated it. Easter is such a joyful holiday. I can't imagine celebrating it they way they did with painted eggs and an american flag. But that was all they had to use.
I really enjoyed reading this book and learning more about the Aleuts. I think that 5-9th grade would gain knowledge from this book. This would be good for older elementary.
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was somewhat confused by the quote about her mother finding a place to live that was only suitable for one person. I know she must have felt a sense of responsibility to work and earn a living no matter what, but it was hard for me to understand the connection (or lack thereof) that Vera and her mother had throughout the book. I think some of it had to do with memories of her father's death, but Vera and her mother do not ever seem to be very close.
Post a Comment