This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Heather Heath's thoughts on "Because of Winn Dixie"

I really enjoyed reading Because of Winn Dixie. I have not seen the movie, so I didn't have any knowledge of what might happen in the story. I loved the book, because it was about a dog. I am a dog lover, and always have been. I guess you could say the Being in and stepping out stance of Langer's stances. I read the book and could relate to the story. I have a huge emotional attachment to my dog. He came into my life and has made me feel so much happier and better about the things I do.

Because of Winn Dixie is a realistic, animal book. I do believe that the animal (Winn Dixie) taught a lesson in the story. He taught a lesson of friendship and how important it is to obtain. Opal was feeling lonely until she met Winn Dixie, and then her whole life changed. He opened Opal up to new and lasting friendships that led to more friendships. Kate DiCamillo did a great job at presenting the theme of friendship in the story. Almost the entire book made me smile and feel all warm inside. I got really upset when the thunderstorm came and they thought Winn Dixie ran away. I almost cried. I know what it is like to lose such a loved pet. I think DiCamillo did a great job at making the reader be able to relate to the characters. This is such a touching story and I was a little sad when it ended. I felt like it was real and that I was actually in the story. The setting seemed so real, like a town I have visited before. I really love this entire story!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, the book is a lot better than the movie. I read it awhile back then saw the movie. It was good, but I always enjoy books better than the movies.

Holly said...

I almost cried when I thought they lost Winn-Dixie too! And I also know what it is like to loose a pet that is so important. I think it is truely one of the hardest things to go through! I have not seen the movie either, but I think it might be interesting to view it in class and have a discussion on movie vs. books...