Pre-Reading:
I have always loved history, especially learning about WWII. After reading through the websites I couldn't help but feeling ashamed. I knew about the Japanese internment camps, but I had no idea that others were also taken from their homes. Italians, Germans, and especially Aleuts were treated less than human. You would think that with the Holocaust going on at the same time, the United States would take a different approach and not send these innocent people to camps. The Japanese attacked Alaska and the people who lived there were the ones who suffered and lost everything. This seems so ridiculous to me. They did not have to burn down their homes and churches. So many of them died because of malnutrition and poor living conditions. If the United States felt it necessary to take them away from their homes, could they not have put them somewhere a little more sanitary and safe? I am just at a loss for why this was kept secret from the world. Why don't we discuss this tragic event in history classes. Not even in high school do they ever speak of it. I know for one thing, I will certainly be vocal about it in my classroom. I am so interested to read the novel and learn more about what really went on in the camps. My heart goes out to these people already.
Response to the book:
I am really glad that I was able to read the background information on the Aleutian people. It helped me to really understand and become intrigued by the novel. This book depicts the great culture of the Aleutians, as they are forced to hold on to their traditions for hope. I love how throughout the book there are constant mention of Aleutian traditions and culture that really unites the people in the camps. They hold onto their religion, especially at Christmas, to keep their minds off of the face that they are so far from home. I loved the great attitudes of the Aleutians, especially Vera. She never gave up on her hope of going home. There are many mentions of this in the book. On page 29 she speaks of this hope saying, "Eyes open, we are Aleuts, exiles, a thousand miles from our villages. Eyes closed, we are sailing toward the Aleutians on a rippling sea."
It is important for children to learn about the realities of the world, including racism and prejudice. Many are acquainted with the trials of the African Americans and Native Americans; however, it is important to show that everyone is vulnerable to be ridiculed. The story of the Aleuts is not in a typical history text book, and by reading historical fiction it allows for students to really "step into" the scene, according to Temple. I think by giving children someone that they can relate to, such as Vera or Opal, they are better able to make connections and really develop empathy towards the people in the story. It is crucial to seperate the actual history and the fiction in the book. Giving students the knowledge about prejudice and racism is empowering them because they are no longer ignorant to these issues. Those who are educated can take that knowledge and not only apply it to their own lives, but talk to others and spread the information. This can really make a change. Another important lesson for children in this novel is the similarities of the Aleuts and themselves. I learned in my Cultural Anthropology class that there is no such thing as "race." What I mean by this is that biologically there is nothing that separates any human being other than skin color. It is important for children to realize that just because someone is different looking it does not mean that they are wrong. Everyone has some sort of belief system, desires, goals, and wants to love and be loved. They may be interpreted differently, but the basis of the ideas is the same.
What I really enjoyed about the book is that each page was a short journal entry written in free verse poetry. At first I was not sure if I was going to like it, but it really added another dimension to the book. You got inside Vera's head, and that allowed for much more compassion and empathy to be felt towards her. This book not only deals with the themes of racism and prejudice but also death, relationships, survival, and hope. The people in this story were forced out of their homes for no reason, and sent into terrible internment camps where many of them suffered terrible deaths. Vera not only lost her best friend to disease, but her mother abandoned her for a more modern city life. She found love with Alfred, and also helped keep the Aleutian culture alive by celebrating traditions and following the words of older Aleuts. I really think Vera is can be connected to Opal from Because of Winn Dixie. Instead of fear and despair, she was able to make the best of each situation she face, just as Opal did. Vera and Opal lost their mothers, not to death, but to the world. Vera also reminds me of Harriet Tubman. She really worked hard to save her people. Vera held onto the traditions of her people, striving to save each and everyone of them so they could return home. She never escaped like Harriet, but she did all she could to preserve her culture and help her people to return home.
My heart goes out to those who suffered during this time. They had done nothing wrong, but suffered unecessary sorrows because of an ignorant government. It makes me so angry to think of another group of people being forced into captivity in a supposedly free country. I hope that I will be given the opportunity to share a book like this with my classroom and help raise awareness of this tragic tale. I loved the book. It opened my eyes to a group of people who showed tremendous courage and hope during a time of despair and sorrow.
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for your comments Lauren. You mentioned the Holocaust...It does seem ironic that we were fighting for democracy "overseas" while in our own country, we were, in a sense, betraying democracy.
Post a Comment