This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Magic Tree House: Carnival at Candlelight

This was my first Magic Tree House book I have read. I was very weary of it, and thought I wouldn't enjoy it at all. A junior in college reading a third-grade book? This was a book that you don't want to put down, and one that the teacher who is reading it would stop in the middle of something big about to happen and make the kids wait another day to find out what was going to happen. I thought it was a 2 in 1 deal. I enjoyed reading it, but at the sametime I also learned many facts abdout Venice that I didn't know. I really thought that making the facts incorporated into the story were necessary for the solving they did was a great idea, otherwise the kids would just look at them as little things they didn't have to read. Like the bold print was part of the research guide, it wasn't optional to read, you had to read it, and it was also enjoyable. There were some rhyming passages in this story, and a lot of visual images. At the beginning I did feel as if Annie was impatient, and Jack was the more rational one, but at the end when she told him he had to use his imagination was when I really figured out about the teamwork and how neither one of them would have been able to complete this without the other one.

No comments: