This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Monday, January 21, 2008
Katey's Thoughts on Carnival at Candlelight
I really enjoyed Mary Pope Osborne's Carnival at Candlelight. Reading it brought me back to elementary school when my teachers would read sections of books like these and always leave the class excited for what would happen next. I think it is written excellently. It has enough details to create an interesting story, but it is also simple enough for elementary children to understand. I also love that it is a series, I could see where it was left open to be continued and to leave kids wanting to read the rest of Pope's books. This is the type of book that I would even consider reading to kindergarten or first graders because the language is appropriate and the story is one that would hold their attention without confusing them. I think the use of illustrations is spaced out quite a bit, but the pictures are great. I think this was a great story to start off this class with. I'm excited to see what else is on the list for the class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree with Katey on the fact that I loved how it reminded me of the story-telling times in elementary school. I also think it is a great book to be a part of a series because it leaves so many options open by the end of the book that it can just go anywhere from there.I like how its so imaginitive and works pieces of our world's history into the story. Finally, it was also pretty cool that the story was set in a real place so then if kids get curious they can look up Venice and see that it is a real city and maybe want to learn more about it.
I agree with Katey about reading it to kindergarten or first graders as well! I want to be a kindergarten teacher and was thinking the same thing about this book but didn't post it. I think the language is simply enough, even the bold facts. I think the children would really enjoy this book because as katety mentioned many pages had pictures and is a series which can be continued. So I think it would be a great way to bring a little italian culture into a lower level classroom as well!
Katey,
Thanks for your comments. I would like to see more specific examples and connections to the book; I'd like to know more about reading the book with 1st and 2nd graders...I agree!
Post a Comment