This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Kristen Teague's understanding of "Carnival at Candlelight"

When I learned that I would be reading numerous books in children's literature, I was somewhat skeptical about how interested I would be in reading these books. I really enjoyed reading "Carnival at Candlelight" this week. This book is perfect for third graders that are starting to read chapter books. You could use this book when teaching and it could be incorporated in many different ways. It could be used in art class with the painter, in learning about buildings with all the arcitecture, in studing different cultures, and even other subjects as well. I have never read a Magic Tree House book but this one was wonderful. I see why children enjoy this books. It gives children a chance to explore other places in the world that they might not be able to experience otherwise. When I was in third grade I would have loved this book. When I was young I loved to read books. Children who read the Magic Tree House books will learn a lot about different places and not even realize it because they enjoy the book so much. Children love to read books where the main character is a child. This way they can relate to what the book is talking about. Children can imagine they are there with the characters in the book. If children read all the books in the Magic Tree House series they would learn so much about other cultures and ways of life. I like how it had the first chapter of the next book in the series in the back of this book so you can get a preview to keep you interested in what is going on in the series. I enjoyed this book and hope that all our others will be as useful and entertaining!

1 comment:

Dr. Frye said...

Thanks for your comments Kristen; try to be as specific as possible and reference specific passages when appropriate; yes, many 3rd graders love these stories!