This was my first experience with these books and I have to say that it was a really, really good one! I thought that, in my opinion, that there was a slight cross between Harry Potter, with the whole wizard thing, and the Chronicles of Narnia, the way that they travel to different places and also the whole lion thing. I really did enjoy the book though. I loved the way that she incorporated the facts about Venice into the story. I think it was amazing how the facts about Venice helped them with the mission that Jack and Annie were on. I think that is one of the most amazing ways that you could teach children, especially at that age level, about historical facts. They are not going to get bored because it is part of the story and its interesting and helps them solve the missions that Merlin gives them. I also liked, as we talked about in class tonight, the fact that the "moral" lessons that she taught were also apart of the story. For me part of the time Jack was the one that was keeping things together then at other times Annie would. I recall her many a time telling Jack to be patient and also for him to say the same to her. I would agree with what some people in the class said by saying that sometimes Annie could be quite annoying and very obviously wrong in here ideas but I think that is the way a lot of children think. They want to skip and get to the end of everything, I remember as a child never wanted to wait till the end of anything and still to this day if I get too excited about anything and have to know right away I will skip down a few lines and read ahead. I always catch myself and get upset for doing it but I still continue to do it. I guess it's just human nature to always want to know what is next.
Basically after my rant and raves, I really, really enjoyed the book and found it very factual and I would even dare say inviting to any reader, I am so very glad that we were "made" to read this book. I looked at children's literature in a total different light already!
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment