This was the first book in the Magic Tree House series that I have read. For this reason I would have liked more background information about the characters to help me understand the plot. I think this would be very helpful to a young reader who might be more easily confused. This would also help the reader identify with the characters and the plot. Otherwise, I thought the book was easy to follow for a young reader. Illustrations and smaller margins were used to differentiate sections of the page that represented letters and such.
The book started with an exciting mysterious plot that captured my attention. Jack and Annie were sent on a mission to save the Grand Lady of the Lagoon in Venice Italy. the story was full of twists and turns that incorporated magic. A young reader could learn a lot about Venice and it's canal system and life in the 17 hundreds. I prefer books that Incorporate history in their plot. Despite this I was somewhat disappointed with the book. I felt that the ending was quite anti climatic. Their wasn't enough struggle or suspense for Jack and Annie in order to save the Grand Lady of the Lagoon who was really the city of Venice from a flood. During their journey they did have to escape from jail and ride a winged lion using magic but saving the city was just too easy. I feel that I would have been disappointed even as a child. I still thing this is a good book and I would recommend it to a student of the appropriate age and interest.
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you Anna. It was my first Magic Tree house book aswell, and I wasn't sure what to expect from the characters. It was still a great book!
Post a Comment