This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Danielle's response to the second half of Weedflower

I have to start off by saying that I really enjoyed Weedflower and the story of Sumiko. It was compelling, engaging and I felt really connected to the people in the story. After reading the first half I was anxious to see how the story was going to end. I hoped that the family would be reunited and the war would be over. However, that was not the case at all but I was not disappointed by the ending. I thought it fit the story well. It was an ending to her life at Poston and the place that Sumiko had begun to call home. It was an end to where she felt safe with her surroundings and the people that she came to know. The ending marked the start of a new journey for Sumiko as a new person with a different take on the world than before. It was not a storybook ending but one that made me feel satisfied and left me with a sense of knowing that everything was going to be okay.

Throughout the second half of the story the character of Frank really began to emerge and develop. He was probably my favorite next to Sumiko. I feel that it was reassuring to Sumiko to find a friend that was an outcast like herself. She felt a connection to Frank because their people had both been through similar experiences. They could relate on many levels about life in general instead of just life as a Japanese. I believe that meeting Frank gave Sumiko a sense of hope for the future. He was so optimistic and always thinking of the future. When Sumiko first left the farm and went to Poston she lost her sense of freedom and hope for the future. She no longer day dreamed about owning a flower shop and she truly believed that her chance of making something with herself was out of the question. Frank restored that hope and sense becoming what her heart has always desired. He made her believe in herself again and that she can do and become whatever she wants regardless of what the world thinks of her. I feel that by the end of the book he had brought the old Sumiko back and a new part of her that showed a sign of maturity. The relationship between these two was strong and I was rooting for them and their friendship. Every time she went to the bean tunnel I to was hoping that he was there waiting for her. In the end when he showed up on his bike my heart was filled with joy.

I am really glad that I had a chance to read this book. I loved it.

No comments: