The only thing that left me wanting more was about Frank, I would have loved to have known more about his character, his family, what he thought of Sumiko . He seemed to have many different levels to him and we never really got to know that much about him. I want to know what he thought about Sumiko, aside from what his brother Joseph revealed. I think that Sumiko and Frank were the perfect pair of friends, even though it was not a long friendship there still seemed to be something between them. When he told her that her flower garden looked like her I wanted to die, I thought this was just the cutest things ever! If I am not mistaken I am pretty sure that Frank had a crush on Sumiko. It made me so glad that she got a friend (even more than one in the end) especially since in the beginning of the section she was talking about it confusing and complicated friendship was. Despite the fact that Sumiko did not think at first that she had friends in camp when she finally had to leave she realized that she had more friends than she thought.
Tak-Tak is my other favorite character, he is so adorable! He loves his sister so much! It was so sad when it was Christmas time and he got his new car and he said that it was his favorite thing. It just made me realize how much they had lost and how little they had. Then when Frank was chased down and Sumiko went after him and she ended up hitting one of the boys in the face, she looked down and saw that Tak-Tak with a branch in his hand. He said that he had the branch in his hand in case someone hit Sumiko. I just loved that part!
This book is an excellent example from, start to finnish, of how terrible treating people in this way is. It shows how treating people in an unequal way unfair and useless and can really be hurtful and troubling to the people it is done to. When the Indians arrive to play camp 3 in basketball they all seem to want to be away from each other, with the children you could talk about, perhaps, why they would want to do that and if it would make you feel good. The Indians do not want the Japanese on their land and the Japanese do not want to be there, so why should they be afraid or dislike each other?
I loved how the story started with a list and also ended with a list. She still has her dream of owing a flower shop!
1 comment:
I totally agree with you that story is "meat" filled. :-) There are just so many elements to the story (vivid characters and descriptions) that it makes it great for all ages. You can water it down for younger children and expound on it for older children. This book is so versatile!
I also would have loved to have gotten to know Frank more. I feel like he was such an important part of the story. I hate that we didnt get to know anything of his family or his life outside of the internment camp setting.
Post a Comment