What it feels like to be lonely:
I actually have a fear of being alone. I cannot stand to be in a place (especially an unfamiliar one) and be alone. To me being alone is not having anyone around to feel comfort or security from. I think you can be alone when there are others around, but if you do not know the others, it is like being alone. Being with people you don't know does not provide security or a sense of safety. I hate being by myself anywhere. I do not like the feeling of being lonely.
Pre-reading (websites):
The websites were powerful and moving. I cannot imagine living during that time. It must have been so bad. I am inspired by the ones who stayed strong and tried to rebuild after they had been put through so much. I could not imagine being taken away from everything I had become used to having and then going back to nothing. I loved the website the students made, it was so touching. It is a powerful message when young children are producing websites with this kind of information.
Weedflower (1-16):
This is an interesting and powerful book. I like that it is told from the life of a 12 year-old girl. Younger children would better relate to this book, because it is told from Sumiko's young life. There are humorous parts and really sad parts so far. I think it is funny when Sumiko says that Jiichan has no dignity because he is so old. I thought them talking through the crack in the outhouse was so funny. I also thought the way the author made Jiichan use broken English made the story more realistic. I know that not all Japanese people that came to America could speak perfect English, so I was pleased to see that Jiichan had trouble with the language. I also liked how Cynthia Kadohata gave some background information on the characters. That helps the reader understand what and why they do the things they do in the book.
The part about the party really upset me. I could not believe that a grown adult would speak to a child like that. That is only teaching that because someone is from a different culture, race, or have different beliefs that it is okay to turn them away. I actually cried when that part of the story happened. I was so upset that the issue was presented, even though it was something that probably did happen to Japanese Americans. It was good to show in the book, because we are trying to teach children about treating others differently, but we have to explain to young children that the way the girl's mother handled it was not the right way. Another part that really upset me was the part when the family told Sumiko to burn anything that would make them seem un-American. I can't even imagine how the Japanese Americans felt when they had to do this just to attempt to save their own lives. I really can't even think about being separated from my family and watching others being treated so badly. I am enjoying the book so far, even though it makes me terribly sad. I can't wait to see what happens to Sumiko's family.
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment