I hate to admit it but I liked Weedflower better than Baseball Saved Us, although this book was interesting as well. Maybe it's because Weedflower is from a girl's perspective and Baseball Saved Us is from a male's. These books had a lot in common and it seemed the only differences is that one is a male speaking and the other is a female. Also, Baseball Saved Us is a lot shorter and is a picture book. The pictures are sort of dark and dull and I believe the illustrator did this to show how life was during the war. The expressions on the faces of the young boys playing baseball are kind of sad and look like they have been through a lot in their short lives.
I think this book would be good for first and second graders to hear and see the pictures when the class is studying history. It talks about baseball which is what a lot of children enjoy and shows pictures so the children can see what is happening. It gives you the perspective of being there with the boy but doesn't give too much detail that young children couldn't handle. It also touches on the subject of being made fun of, which sadly, a lot of children know about. If you don't want to talk about Pearl Harbor from this book, you can talk about how it is wrong to make other children an outcast.
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I had the same feelings about Weedflower vs. Baseball Saved Us. I liked Baseball Saved Us but while reading I did find myself wondering if children would really get into this book. It does do a good job of showing the more serious side of life and real events that have taken place and chldren do need to know that life isn't always as bright and cheery as some picture books make it out to be.
Post a Comment