I am again blogging on Dr. Frye's site instead of my own because currently my blogging site is under review and I don't know why!
A. Moses: when Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom
B. Weatherford, Carole Boston
C. Nelson, Kadir
D. Hyperion Books for Children
E. Picture Book, Realistic Fiction
F. 4-6
G. This books is overall about Harriet Tubman freed many many slaves by leading them along the Underground Railroad. It also shows Harriet's relationship with God and how much she is depending on him to get her through this. She relies alot on him and it is his words of wisdom that seem to make her so courageous. The book shows how many slaves were led to safety by such an incredible woman. Another thing it shows are the harsh conditions that Harriet Tubman had to live through in order to fulfill her duty so it pretty much was not just a walk in the park.
H. I really liked this book overall because I thought it was very inspirational and to be honest there are not that many books out there like this. Alot of books do not talk about God and his relationships with people and I think its interesting to see how other people react to this. I can't say it really relates to any of my own experiences because obviously I never took part in the underground railroad however it did bring me back to remembering the different projects I did in class that related to black civil rights as well as freedom and equality for African Americans.
I. I think this would be able to be brought into the classroom by starting up the subject of civil rights and how African Americans didn't receive freedom until after a multiple amount of different hardships. I also think it would be cool if an African American could come in and talk about how maybe some of their relatives or ancestors went through this and possibly tell some stories that could relate to this. I think it would be hard to bring in the subject of God because I'm pretty sure we are not aloud to teach about religion unless we are specifically at a religious school. This could cause alot of problems because then kids would start asking questions I doubt we would be able to answer. I lastly think that this would be a really cool topic to talk about but I also think it would be risky to bring in a book that discusses God.
This blog will serve as a space for students of RE 3240- World Literature for Children-to dialogue about children's literature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Rachel, I totally agree with you on the God issue. I think it was great in the book, and meant a lot in the book, but I too believe that it would be very risky in discussing it, especially in the public schools.
Post a Comment